The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Thursday Belmont Race 9
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:59 pm 

:arrow: Non-descript field of mdn clmrs ($16K) engaging in a 6f turf sprint. Some have never tried grass, some have - the course is getting firmer and sometimes a horse doesn't have to like grass to succeed in one of these sprints.

The horse with the most experience is #4 Margaro: 10 tries out of 15 lifetime starts and only a third to show for it. But what a third!....at almost 87-1, 11 months ago to the day. Gets the hot bugboy Curatolo and Gary has scratched a number of times waiting for the greensward. Worth a shot - experience counts. Hoping for a Sciacca special - bombs away is the only way with this guy.

#1 Boro Kid has two lifetime starts, but both were off-the-turf. Secures the rail and soft-spot Ubillo stays with Maylan. Surprise package?
#2 One Spring Storm will take action based on previous sprint form - Julio has to hold on.
#6 Stoneridge tries grass after failing by a head to break maiden at the Big A early April; Bruce the Juice reaches for Domingo to get the job done.
#8 Isabella Bella ran a not bad turf route on 5/08. Blinkers ON for the cutback and Espinoza's only mount today.....has to mean something when you stick around the jocks room waiting for the last race on the card.

That leaves two abject longshots from Campo (uncoupled) and I can make an argument for each if I stretch credulity, but not worth the risk here; finally, #5 Copious Notes might even go off the favorite off the one turf route against spcls at the Spa last summer. Not saying she can't win, just that Contessa has been awful and disappoints often.

Will try two combos, ex & tri box: 1-2-6 & 1-4-8.....the latter includes the longshot I favor, the former combo a bit more logical, but both include the rail runner.

Loathe turf sprints, but love betting the finale and this is what they dealt me.

Post subject: Re: Thursday Belmont Race 9
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:03 pm 

Issabella Bella should like the distance change.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:48 pm 

:) Nice call on the $71.50 exacta, Rocket.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:40 pm 

:arrow: Margaro was a gate scratch minutes before post - don't know what the problem was, but get money back.

The exacta was healthy (thank you Maylan for always persevering) and wish Julio could have completed the triple. Campo did complete the tri at 20-1.

Isabella Bella was a complete dud and Contessa sucks.

I hardly bet today, but came away with a few $$. I'll take what they gave me.