The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Friday Belmont Race 9
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:04 pm 

:arrow: #3 City Vice is a 6YO mare with 28 lifetime starts and still a maiden [28-0-2-1]. However, the two place finishes were at 71-1 and 16-1. Trainer Richard DeMola knows only one word for all his runners: speed. Go to the lead and improve on it, please, or please hold on. :lol: Unfortunately, Richard is not very good at placing his runners in the right spots, but today he has a shot.
With hot bug Curatola on board, the course firming up and a workable six furlongs, he simply must bust out first. All or nothing.

They're going wild on #1 Bazinga, though Cornholio has replaced the fallen Domingo. Adequate substitution.

No money is coming in on Chad Brown's firster, #6 Sasta Go Lucky, despite steady drills for months. His old stand-by, Jose Lezcano, has the mount. Might be one of those races in which you catch Chad at a price.
Not crazy about Rennina, giving some thought to Holy Spice, but feel I have to cover them underneath in triples.

ex box....3/ALL and hold my breath. also, ex box...1/6

tri box...1-3-6.....tri...1-6/1-3-6/8-9....tri...1-6/8-9/1-3-6

Post subject: Re: Friday Belmont Race 9
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:11 pm 

I like EDEN IS BURNING off the layoff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 pm 

:arrow: Threw in ex box...9/1-6

When have you ever seen Alan Garcia ride for Rudy - and it's a turf sprint?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:28 pm 

:shock: The other Rudy (uncoupled) wins at 20-1; my Rudy completes a $1034 triple. I hope Mr. Rodriguez joins his mentor when the hammer falls.

Eden is Burning got the jump on City Vice, as I feared, and that was that. City Vice doesn't know how to rate - very few of DeMola's horses do.

Have no idea where Chad's firster finished, but was not a factor.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:35 pm 

DeoVolente wrote:
I like EDEN IS BURNING off the layoff

I hate turf sprints like poison, but they are not going away, there will be more and more of them and I'd best get better at handicapping them. Or avoid them completely (except in the day's finale, when I like to bet triples).

One thing I have observed is that, unless you are a magnificent turf sprinter, a horse coming off a layoff has to exert tremendous energy, esp., from outer posts in these sprints to get position. Castellano got out first, rode wicked fractions and pooped. Maybe next time she'll have a better chance off this prep, maybe not. I was just praying that no one would beat City Vice from the gate, but Javier did.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 pm 

She was cooked at 21.76 for Q1 though I had blind faith through the turn that she could hang on. Same story, different year, but if they can actually train that filly, she could win and now it looks like at a number.
At the track today and caught Channing's winner in the 7th and got some free ride action on a double and P3, both of which went nowhere. Took that Taconic in the 8th, boxed into a cheesy exacta saver when that one didn't come home for me, blew the win in the final as I took Bazinga and after a lingering look left off Oatkiwhatever--I think part of the reason I stayed away is that I couldn't pronounce the name. Dime super disaster: 2nd 5th 6th and 8th.
With Ramon off and him being the only jock the filly has known, I thought the 1 was beatable, but my crackerjack 5th place finisher was who I thought would get there.