The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Patriots 30 Against The Redskins 27 Pre-Season
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm 

3rd Pre-Season Game (2nd away) and the rooster still isn't complete. No touchdowns last week but Brady only played the 1st 20 minutes against the Bengals. I hope they keep him in longer tonight so I can try to stay awake beyond halftime.

Brady took a late hit and almost suffered a sholder injury. He was promptly taken out and watched the remainder from the sidelines. The game almost went into overtime when New England kicked a field goal with 12 secounds left 30-27. :o

Yes, I fell asleep, but was able to muster enought strenth to wake up and catch the 4th quarter when my wife tried to take the remote out of my death gripe.

Last edited by Jack on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Patriots Tonight Against The Redskins at 8PM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 pm 

The Patriots are a good club, John. In the 80's sometime I was at Foxboro to watch a Pat/Jet game during a tour of work near Boston. My friend and I were cheering for the Jets when two fine-looking women behind us told us to stay low-key as Jets fans. They told us that nutty fans would play "bumper cars" in the lot with us after the game regardless of who won if they knew we were Jets fans. They also told us we might get our asses kicked.

Now beyond 60 I am happy to have taken their advice that day to go down quiet. There was a trot track next to that stadium in Foxboro and I have been there.

Post subject: Re: Patriots Tonight Against The Redskins at 8PM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:18 am 

1/4 Pole wrote:
The Patriots are a good club, John. In the 80's sometime I was at Foxboro to watch a Pat/Jet game during a tour of work near Boston. My friend and I were cheering for the Jets when two fine-looking women behind us told us to stay low-key as Jets fans. They told us that nutty fans would play "bumper cars" in the lot with us after the game regardless of who won if they knew we were Jets fans. They also told us we might get our asses kicked.

Now beyond 60 I am happy to have taken their advice that day to go down quiet. There was a trot track next to that stadium in Foxboro and I have been there.

Bay State Raceway, Foxboro, Massachusetts
I grew up less than a mile from Bay state Raceway in Foxboro, Mass.
Summer nights were full of the sounds of the crowds at the track cheering for their horses and when they crossed the finish line the crowd would hush simultaneously as if someone turned down the volume on a radio.
Some of my fondest memories were of "Grand Circuit" racing coming to town and the Massachusetts Pacing Derby. Great horses came through Bay State like Adios Butler, Bye Bye Bird and Speedy Pick. The track was kept in impeccable shape for a small town venue.
The summers went by fast thanks to the nightly events at the track. I had several jobs there over the years such as groom, busboy and ticker seller. It helped me get though college so I owe a debt of gratitude to the old track which is now a parking lot for the New England Patriots football team—a sport that wasn't even popular in the heyday of the track.
Now I watch races from the Meadowlands and marvel at the times horses turn in today—easily 10-15 seconds faster than they were in my younger days. 1:55 was the record for a mile held by Adios Harry for a long time.

Now that's slower than the 1st race at most tracks. Amazing. . .Jack Kelley

Wonderful memories of the Bay State Raceway in Foxboro, MA. I grew up in Millis, MA. which is only about 10 miles from Foxboro. In the early fifties my parents and I would go once a week to see the sulky races. They explained the training, skill and talent needed in handling these beautiful animals. Wish I could remember their favorites by name. I was just in awe of the whole scene. Was there the night they told over the loudspeaker that the first of the Canadian quintuplets had died. I still have a ticket to the Bay State RaceWay!. . .Lyn Stone

My Grandfather had me lead a horse into the racing office. He told me to ask the racing secretary if I could enter the horse in a race. Grandpa laughed the racing secretary didn't. Grandpa was the general manager of the track (Walter Gibbons) The racing secretary was my father (Glenn Gibbons). Herbie Britt supplied the horse. The director of publicity was Pres Hobson. He was my grandmother's brother. Later he was general manager. I worked in publicity for 1969 and 1970 seasons. I have memories of Rockingham, Hinsdale saw it being built back in 1958,Gorham and others like Roosevelt Raceway. I sat with a driver at Buffalo in 1969 he talked about a horse he nick named "Shorty" the horse's name was really GOOD TIME. . . .Brian Gibbons

I remember many evenings at Foxboro or Bay State Raceway when 15-20,000 fans packed the track to hear Clayt Smith or Wally Cryan call the action. I was the back-up announcer to Walter Cryan for awhile, but it was the Summer of 1992 when I was the first announcer for the aborted Inaugural Meet for thoroughbred racing that I recall the excitement that was generated in hopes of a racing revival after Suffolk closed. I also recall that beautiful recently shuttered Hinsdale track on Sunday, August 12, 1979 where I was the announcer for the battle between Herve Filion and Carmen Abbatiello battle of two champion drivers. Gil Levine announced at Suffolk Downs for both harness and t-breds—he was among the best in those days/anyone know his whereabouts? I recognized the names listed in the Brian Gibbons post concerning his relatives and days at Bay State. Those names were legends around New England harness racing. . .Bob Ferullo

Post subject: Re: Patriots 30 Against The Redskins 27 Pre-Season
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 am 

I was arrested in the late 80's in Foxboro and tossed in a room until they could move me to a cell with all the other criminals..Fortunately I had a cuff key and when the good Sgt went to herd some more unlucky football crooks I used it for my escape..Have not been back since...I do still have the cuffs however.

F STEVE GROGAN.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 pm 

Jack

I'm still trying to figure out how you Grew up a Mile from Foxboro and Lived in Millis ??? My Family was from Holliston . Millis more than a Mile away from Foxboro .

I remember the Old Place well for its Bright lights and Night action

I also remember a Great Place to Eat for Cheap The Red Barn , Just Down the Street .

MArrrShalll Calllls the Pacers .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:44 pm 

Yorker wrote:
Jack

I'm still trying to figure out how you Grew up a Mile from Foxboro and Lived in Millis ??? My Family was from Holliston . Millis more than a Mile away from Foxboro .

O'K john, If you read my last post closely, its by several different posters (not me). They are reminising about the old days and authored by them, not me.

I was born in Prov. and grew-up in Smithfield, about 10 miles from the old Lincoln Downs Racetrack in Rhode Island.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:00 pm 

Jack wrote:
Yorker wrote:
Jack

O'K john, If you read my last post closely, its by several different posters (not me). They are reminising about the old days and authored by them, not me.

I was born in Prov. and grew-up in Smithfield, about 10 miles from the old Lincoln Downs Racetrack in Rhode Island.

OK , now I get it . Those are Quotes From Different People .

My Grandpa Moved to Pawtucket when I was a Kid . Baked Bread for Tip Top [Wards] for 50 Years . I remember going to Narragansett With Him .