The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: My Trip to Old Town
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 pm 

Left yesterday 6 1/2 hrs up and 6 1/2 hrs back today. I drove up and picked-up 27 kayaks and canoes along with PFD's and paddles. Got a dealership from "Old Town Canoe" company. Because the feed and grain business has been so depressed the last few years we needed something to bolster our sales. We're excited to get them onto the floor and out the door! There's no other dealership within 25 miles and Old Town is one,if not the best, names in the industry.

Last edited by Jack on Sat May 15, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Trip to Old Town Maine
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:57 pm 

Sold our first kayak Tues. afternoon and two more today(Sat.) We haven't advertised yet, but there's ad's coming out on Tues. I'm excited that we're selling them so quickly with no ad's out yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:35 am 

How much are they? I live near the Hudson river and see people using these kayaks during the summer. Now that racing is near dead I am picking up new interests.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:29 am 

Samyn wrote:
How much are they? I live near the Hudson river and see people using these kayaks during the summer. Now that racing is near dead I am picking up new interests.

They start at about $400. and up. We have a nice "package" deal: buy the kayak and paddle, get a PFD(life vest) free $500. plus tax. These are Old Town and pretty much cost the same at all Old Town dealers. Seats slide forward or backward and they have foot-rests. They vary from 9' to 12' (two seaters). We have several that are used for fishing and can stow away gear or dry close and hold rods on either side. We have the senic Five Mile River that abuts our store and people can try them right there. "Five Mile Outfitters" is what we're calling the new division and hope to bring in more items as we get going. Right now I'm building wall support racks to get them off the floor for better viewing.

Thanks for asking. Maybe see you again soon at the track.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:03 pm 

I'm building kayak display racks that hold 4 boats, stacked one above the other. I used caster wheels so we can roll them out onto our front loading area for viewing. We had a husband an wife stop in at 5:10 this afternoon asking to look at what we had. They had just come from Dick's Sporting Goods, a large chain store, ready to buy. We gave them 2 kayaks at the same price Dick's was selling them at AND threw in a double paddle to boot. They took out a credit card and left happy at 5:30, our normal closing time. We've sold 5 since we got them in, 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking about going back to Maine to pick-up more models. I'm as happy as a clam to finally get a product in the store that sells themself's. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 pm 

Jack wrote:
I'm building kayak display racks that hold 4 boats, stacked one above the other. I used caster wheels so we can roll them out onto our front loading area for viewing. We had a husband an wife stop in at 5:10 this afternoon asking to look at what we had. They had just come from Dick's Sporting Goods, a large chain store, ready to buy. We gave them 2 kayaks at the same price Dick's was selling them at AND threw in a double paddle to boot. They took out a credit card and left happy at 5:30, our normal closing time. We've sold 5 since we got them in, 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking about going back to Maine to pick-up more models. I'm as happy as a clam to finally get a product in the store that sells themself's. :D

That is just GREAT! :mrgreen:

I think you could add few more kayak models especially since they are selling :mrgreen: and maybe a few kayaking accessories...waterproof clothing/storage items..or whatever goes with kayaking minus the paddles.

Why people buy the kayaks, you could have a "few necessary accessories" to sell at the same time.

Post subject: Re: My Trip to Old Town
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:13 pm 

Wooley,the grain business was in desperate need of new products and idea's due to the economy. Fewer customers with fewer dollars to spend. Two Tractor Supply stores, a nearby Walmart and a Petco certainly doesn't help either. We had to get something that people needed and we decided on kayaks and canoe's, no other dealers within 25-30 miles. Next project is a boat launch/landing 100 feet from our door which we've already gotten approval for. Your certainly right about more outdoor sporting items hence our new name, "Five Mile Outfitters", along with The Pet Depot. Two months ago I was contemplating, throwing in the towel. Thanks for you comments........john

Post subject: Re: My Trip to Old Town
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 pm 

So now you got NY Boats and Maine BOATS WOW

Good Luck with Both Jack